JOHNSONVILLE: Newsletter, February 22, 2021
PARENTS: We have a very productive and busy week ahead! Please be aware of the following reminders:
- Gifted testing is Tuesday and Thursday of this week – 12:30 – 2:30. All students who have not been identified as gifted will be testing
- Wednesday, 2/24, is a half day for students – dismissal is at 11:00
- Parent teacher conferences are March 3-5. Please use the sign-up genius link to schedule a time to meet: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70a0d4caea628a5f58-3rdquarter3
Other Class Notes:
Math: this week we begin our look at measurement – we also started working on our elapsed time project this week and continuing to review for end of quarter assessments.
SCIENCE: This week we conclude our study of properties of materials!
SOCIAL STUDIES: WOW! What a month of celebrations! We have moved from the history and impact of Harriet Tubman and George Washington Carver to listening to Duke Ellington and Harlem jazz. This week we round out our Black History month focus the word PERSEVERANCE and the civil rights movement. We also are at the tail end of looking at the events leading up to the American Revolution and celebrating the Chinese Lunar New Year.
LANGUAGE ARTS: Students are working in the Word Study Notebooks with a new word list this week. These words are in their agendas – please help them study and review this week!
LITERATURE STUDY: We are deep into walking through OPERATION BEIDERMAN with the Vanderbeekers! This week we are looking at character analysis and learning about writing petitions.
Great Conversation Starters:
- What could be the cause of Mr. Beiderman’s attitude towards the Vanderbeekers? What would be the effect of Mr. Beiderman’s attitude?
- What is a petition? Why did the Vanderkeepers think that this was a good strategy?
- What is important to know about Isa?
- What is a sub plot? Is there a sub plot in our literature study?
- What are some of the materials that people around the world use to build houses?
- Who was George Washing Carver and what was his impact on American farmers?
- What kind of personality did Duke Ellington have? What is Duke Ellington known for doing?
- What is important to know when you are telling time?
- How many ways can you think of to make 55 cents?
Enjoy your week!